RE: Stegosaur volume of Swiss Journal of Geosciences

On Sun, 19/9/10, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

> and again, I refer you to Basileosaurus  (actually a whale), or
> Thylacaleo (not really a lion)....there are plenty of misnomers in the
> scientific names.

Yes.  _Arrhinoceratops_ has a nasal horn, and _Diceratops_ has more than two
horns.

But I was referring specifically to your "marsupial mice" example.  Marsupial
mice are classified within Marsupialia (family Dasyuridae), not Rodentia.  So
the taxonomy corrects the mistaken impression given by the common name.

> I'm not asking for special pleading  --  I'm asking that we keep it
> alive _until it is proven to be worth the paper I'm writing this email
> on._

I'm happy to keep Ceratopsidae alive.  As long as we understand that (in the
absence of a definition that includes _Ceratops_) there is no reason to
*assume* that _Ceratops_ belongs in the clade Ceratopsidae.

Cheers

Tim