Re: Striking a blow against the predatory guilds

"...it would be instrumentally good if predatory animal species were
to become extinct and replaced by new herbivorous species, provided
that this could occur without ecological upheaval involving more harm
than would be prevented by the end of predation."

He hasn't really thought this through all the way has he?  That last
part of his thought above shows just how poorly he understands
population ecology.  Herbivores, without natural predators, would not
exist in some Eden-like state (complete with cherubs and pan flutes)
and would certainly require culling.  So what's more horrific: natural
predators processing animals into carcasses and introducing nutrients
into an ecosystem, or do we want another 1800's style Bison slaughter?

Lee Hall
Paleontology Undergraduate
Museum of the Rockies
Montana State University