Re: Striking a blow against the predatory guilds

Well...there are still catamounts and an apparent hybrid coy/wolf in the northeast kingdom of Vermont.... The fish & game folks may say the eastern mountain lion is extinct, but there have been several sightings of the eastern mountain lion in Irasburg, where I live. (True, the fish & game people say "it must have been someone's pet," but I don't believe it.)
Scott Perry
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michelle Pinsdorf" <drakeducaine@yahoo.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Striking a blow against the predatory guilds

Agreed. Look at areas where large predators have already been mostly removed from the ecosystem, for example any highly populated part of the northeastern US. Deer and Canadian goose populations have exploded thanks to the treatment of any wild cat or canid species as dangerous. Bears too, for the most part. With increasing population and decreasing habitat, the deer end up turning to gardens for food, which in turn causes humans to plant more non-native 'deer resistant' species and use deer repellant chemicals. The end result is a lot of starving deer - not a morally superior argument in my opinion!

Michelle Pinsdorf