Re: Striking a blow against the predatory guilds

I get the negative reaction to this from scientists (and, well, just about everyone), and I don't agree with it either, but I think it's only fair to point out that it rests on two commonly held assumptions:

 a. reducing suffering is a moral good or obligation
   and
 b. animals suffer

If we believe that both these fairly reasonable assumptions are true, it seems entirely logical to me that we should be attempting to reduce the suffering of animals, wherever they may be. This is just a natural fleshing out of utilitarian ethics with a modern understanding of animal's mental states. The practicaities of doing that could be debated, but you'd still end up with something like it being good to eliminate predation and parasitism wherever possible.

Now, I think the problem lies with the assumption that reducing suffering is a moral good, and I personally believe that morality is more of a social contract (and I have no tacit agreement with some zebra for mutual protection from lions). However, this has it's own problems and might give up something about morality which we feel is important.

I don't think anything about any of the positions would argue that we have to hide the _fact_ of predation and suffering, and I don't think Jeff McMahan is arguing that either.

Um, DINOSAURS!

Cheers
John

--