Re: Stegosaur volume of Swiss Journal of Geosciences

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Michael Mortimer
<mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

> As for Dryptosauroidea (Deinodontoidea has even more priority, btw),
> Podokesauridae/oidea and all the other examples that are ignored
> nowdays, they annoy me. I think we should either switch names or
> petition the ICZN instead of letting these technically correct names
> float around unused.

There is another way out. All zoological superfamily names end in
"-oidea", but not all names ending in "-oidea" are for zoological
superfamilies. Examples: Asteroidea (Class), Hyracoidea (Order). So
use "Tyrannosauroidea", but don't rank it as a superfamily. Rank it as
a parvorder or whatever, or just don't rank it at all. Problem solved.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California