RE: ICZN & PhyloCode (was RE Stegosaur volume of Swiss Journal of Geosciences

This question comes up enough on this list that it seems interesting it still
comes up. Hasn't the general conclusion of "diagnostic" being subjective been
regarded as essentially "unsolvable" so far?

Anthony asks (perhaps rhetorically) "How many diagnostic characters can you
glean from teeth?"

If you were a mammologist, one may very well be enough, as Anthony himself
affirms. This depends, of course, on how far you are willing to bend the term
diagnostic, and to what _degree_ of diagnostic you value this tooth's one
feature. In mammal dental series, it is often the context of a series of
changes along the row that counts, not any one tooth, and applying this
criterion to reptile teeth, which are often very close in morphology to one
another along the tooth row, or vary largely only in proportions of the crown,
but through no superficial characters.

When it comes to some theropod teeth, differentiating uppers and lowers can be
tricky, although some workers (it is said of Currie, for example) have become
adept at identifying the position at a glance. Tyrannosauroid teeth are good
models for variation, both proportionate "heterodonty" and superficial
morphologic "heterodonty." (I cover this specific issue here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/a-definition-for-heterodonty .)

Tyrannosaurs are, somewhat, too easy. Try identifying a hadrosaur corwn to
position. A lot harder. No study (to date published) has addressed variation
along dental batteries in ornithischians, and the few that have have dealt
largely with ontogeny or replacement, and not variation: A ceratopsian crown is
just that, a crown, and it's neither an upper or a lower, nor a mesial or a
distal, and variation is measured by wear. And ontogeny is barely a factor.

So when next we deal with this question, I suggest a little more focus on what
"diagnostic" actually means, and how you use it: it might free up some
discussion time to something more productive on the topic, like assessing
variation in regards to "diagnostic" material, and thus allowing us to assess
whether taxa which are "diagnostic" are useful in any way.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/