RE: Platecarpus tympaniticus - how to analyze a nomen dubium

On Tue, 21/9/10, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So, can't we use the shared features of _Ceratopsidae_
> members as an anchor?

You mean an apomorphy-based clade?

> well until the PhyloCode comes online and replaces Linnaean
> taxonomy completely, we have to work with the Linnaean
> system.

Actually no, we don't.  Publications that describe new genera or species
routinely skip any and all ranks, and merely list clades in decreasing order of
inclusiveness.  For example (from Carr and Williamson, 2010):

SYSTEMATIC PALEONTOLOGY

SAURISCHIA Seeley, 1887
THEROPODA Marsh, 1881
TYRANNOSAUROIDEAWalker, 1964
_BISTAHIEVERSOR SEALEYI_ gen. et sp. nov.

Not a Linnaean rank in sight.  And the world is a better place for it.

Cheers

Tim