RE: Platecarpus tympaniticus - how to analyze a nomen dubium

Why not? The name used, Marsh's, is so easily modified for a prefix, which
results in three dozen current variations. It, like using -pelta, or -don, or
-titan, or -raptor, is an effective means of conveying information without
having to pull up arcade philosophical points. For example, no matter how
clever, *Antetonitrus* does not always immediately recall the sense of a
precursor for *Brotosaurus,* a recollection of the Hesiod name of a cyclops who
forged the thunderbolts of Zeus. Once the stem is known (bronto, or ceratops)
it is easy to use to convey the idea. Hence *Xenoposeidon* on the heels of
*Sauroposeidon*.

  This is NO DIFFERENT (as I can see) from using the same root to chain
suffices as preffices.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)