Re: Platecarpus tympaniticus - how to analyze a nomen dubium

>Now it's my turn to correct you. That was true in the first draft of
the code, but it has long since been remedied. See Art. 20:
http://www.ohio.edu/phylocode/art20.html

>If you were to convert Ceratopsia Marsh 1890 into a clade name, it
would be cited in full as Ceratopsia Marsh 1890 [Taylor 201X]. If I
were to then emend the definition, it would be cited in full as
Ceratopsia Marsh 1890 [Taylor 201X] {Keesey 202X}.

    OK, so that's a step in the right direction that addresses my last comment.
 But PhyloCode will STILL turn into a free-for-all contest to see who can get
their name(s) attached to the most clade names, which is unproductive.  Just
think of all the people that will publish little three-line notes establishing
themselves as the definers, padding their CVs with, well, nothing.  And if you
think I'm wrong about how this will turn out, I give you TaxonSearch: great
idea in concept, really poor in execution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerry D. Harris
Director of Paleontology
Dixie State College