RE: Andrew McDonald response re: European iguanodonts

  1. *Pectinodon bakkeri* is named for a crown with mesial denticulation. It is
from the Maastrichtian Lance Formation, and is thus almost 10ma younger than
*Troodon formosus* (75mya). Prove to me it is the same taxon as *Troodon
formosus.*

  2. The position in the dental series of ANSP 9259 has been speculation, most
recently and following that of Currie (1987) as a premaxillary crown, but this
is not based on any material association with a jaw bone and _in situ_ crowns:
Currie (1987) merely argues (pp.76-77) that "The type specimen of *Troodon
formosus* [...] is a premaxillary tooth, or possibly an anterior maxillary." He
then goes on to describes samples of teeth, all essentially shed or broken and
not _in situ_, to bolster the claim that the type tooth does not conform to
known dentary or inferred maxillary crowns; this is done by inferring the
position of premaxillary crowns from the sample and distinguishing them from
other series. It is made problematic that the only bones so far reported with
_in situ_ dentition are mandibular, and that these teeth vary in their relative
denticulation (Currie, 1987). They are also from varying formations, and given
taxic variation within the Dinosaur Park Formation itself, both theropod and
ornithischian, I find it problematic to associate even one iota of this
material to *Troodon formosus* solely because one tooth possesses denticulation
on the mesial carina.

  Now, don't get me wrong: I am amazed and fascinated by Currie, both as a
scientist and as a writer. He's my paleo-hero, above all others. But I think
he's fundamentally wrong here, as are so many others who have had to sort
through theropod dentition samples, by assuming the quality and position of odd
teeth. Currie (1987) writes (pg.76): "*Troodon* teeth vary in relation to their
position in the jaw, and this has been the major reason that the taxonomic
status of this animal has been so uncertain." Yet despite this, while some
certainty exists, marked divergence of ANSP 9259 from every single _in situ_
troodontid crown has made associating nomenclature problematic. Yet still,
thousands of teeth from the Campanian and Maastrichtian of North America are
referred _solely_ to *Troodon formosus.*

  3. Absence of mesial denticulation in premaxillary crowns of virtually all
other troodontids named to date (Norell et al. 2009 confirming Mickey's
assertion "Not Saurornithoides, Zanabazar (contra Barsbold, 1974)" and its
likely but uncited source) does not mean only one taxon with mesial
denticulation exists. This is compounded by the broad stratigraphic and
geographic distance of occurence of such teeth in North America.

  4. If I were to assume that *Pectinodon bakkeri* has as much "right" to exist
alongside *Troodon formosus* as *Zanabazar junior* does to *Saurornithoides
mongoliensis*, then it matters strongly how many species might exist and by
what "level" of nomenclature we recognize their taxonomy. I do not think you
can argue correctly that *Troodon* should be the appropriate container, because
there is no means of distinguishing this result from one placing all species
into their own equivalent containers (thereby permitting *Pectinodon* alongside
*Troodon*). I would then reject the notion that *Troodon* would be a useful
container at all for any quanta of material broader than a morphology precisely
identical to the holotype specimen, and almost certainly from only the Judith
River Formation of Montana (that is, also not from the Two Medicine, Dinosaur
Park, etc.). Is this a ludicrous and over-conservative opinion? You betcha. But
these are _shed and broken teeth_, and using them to validate variation of an
unknown quality (especially given their uniqueness) is itself ludicrous.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/