Re: Troodon and other problems (was Andrew McDonald response re: European iguanodonts)

In a message dated 4/4/11 5:24:07 PM, mike@indexdata.com writes:

<< The Apatosaurus material is pretty good -- there are a couple of nice
cervicals.  It's not AS good as the Brontosaurus holotype, but it's
plenty diagnostic enough to be getting on with.>>

Having examined the material I disagree. It is not even possible to firmly
establish how many individuals are involved in the nonarticulated type, the
diagnosis could be based on multiple taxa.

<<Also the
Brontosaurus skeleton is less useful for diagnosis that we might wish,
because the bones are smothered in plaster.  They did a really
horrible job on it back in the day -- not just filling in the gaps,
but also in many places smearing over what bone they did have, so it's
impossible to tell what's real and what isn't. >>

Ye original skeletal drawing shows what is real and not (I suspect the
primitive prejacketing excavation techniques were responsible for much of the
bone loss). In any case the specimen needs dismantling and remounting, at
which time it can be properly assessed.

GP

</HTML>