Re: Manidens. new Jurassic heterodontosaurid from Argentina

James Stearns <jstea003@odu.edu> wrote:

> Well, so far the Cañadón Asfalto has produced two basal tetanurans
> (Piatnitzkysaurus and Condorraptor), two basal eusauropods
> (Patagosaurus and Volkheimeria) and now a heterodontosaur. It's good
> to see more light being shed on the Middle Jurassic, and especially
> interesting to know that the Cañadón Asfalto can preserve tiny
> animals. I think more exploration ought to be done on this formation.
> After all, China can't have all the fun these days.

The remains assigned to _Patagosaurus_ come from several individuals,
but according to Rauhut (2003) not all the material belongs to
_Patagosaurus_.  So it's likely that a third sauropod taxon is
represented in the Cañadón Asfalto Formation.  (Assuming that the
non-_Patagosaurus_ part of the _Patagosaurus_ material doesn't come
from _Volkheimeria_).

Cheers

Tim