Re: dino-lice

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also wondered if Rhyncophthirina parasitized sauropods (and/or other
> kinds of thick-skinned, non-avian dinosaur) during the Cretaceous.

There is a gigantic*, putative phthirapteran species known from
Mesozoic fossils, although its relationships are not well understood.
Saurodectes vranskyi, from the Early Cretaceous of Siberia (Zaza
Formation), was about 1.7 cm long and had strangely large eyes for a
louse. (There's a good photo of the specimen in Grimaldi & Engels'
excellent book, Evolution of the Insects.)

* Gigantic for a louse, anyway.
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/