Re: Daemonosaurus, new early theropod and other dino news

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13th, 2011 at 11:06 AM, "bh480@scn.org" <bh480@scn.org> wrote:
>
>> Some stories in the media:
>>
>> New Ghost Ranch theropod Daemonosaurus. The official abstract in
>> Proceedings of the Royal Society B has not been posted yet online.
>>
>> http://www.livescience.com/13678-toothy-carnivore-dinosaur-rex-fossils.html
>
> That article gives the etymology of Daemonosaurus as 'evil spirit reptile'. I
> thought the Greek
> term 'daemon' refered to intermediaries between humans and the gods?

Depends on context and on which stage of Greek you're talking about.
"Evil spirit" is certainly within the range of meanings found in
ancient Greek (and I believe the dominant one in medieval and modern).
Early on it could also denote a supernatural being very generically,
being in this sense applicable to the gods themselves.

(Oh, and pedantically, 'daemon' is a Latinization. The Greek is
'daimon', or if this survives email: δαίμων.)

--
Andreas Johansson