Re: two news stories

On Thu, Apr 14th, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Ian Paulsen <birdbooker@zipcon.net> wrote:

> What Saved the Dinosaurs:
>
> http://www.livescience.com/13682-birds-survived-mass-extinction-dinosaurs.html

I suppose it all depends on what qualifies a 'good' sense of smell. Having
large olfactory bulbs may
give a creature a keen sense of smell (ie. able to extract more useful
information out of less
stimuli), however isn't the range of scents detectable largely dependant on the
variety of scent
receptors in the nose?

Theropods may well have been able to follow very faint scent trails, but for
all we know the range
of different scents they could detect may have been quite narrow. Without
knowing what the scent
receptors in the nasal cavity were like, we'll probably never know.

Dann Pigdon