RE: Icelandic dinosaur names

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of David Orr
>
> Anyone ever hear of this phenomenon in Iceland?
>
> "One of the most fun things about the Icelandic language is
> that unlike every other language to my knowledge, they have
> their own dinosaur names rather than using the same Greek and
> Latin that we?re used to. There are a whole bunch named after
> gods and goddesses (Apatosaurus/Þórseðla,
> Maiasaura/Freyjueðla) but my absolute favorite is the one in
> the picture. Its scientific name is ?Irritator,? and so the
> Icelanders dubbed it Lokaeðla (?Lokisaurus?)."
>
> source:
> http://kvaaninkieli.tumblr.com/post/4556882133/one-of-the-most
-fun-things-about-the-icelandic

> Thought it was interesting, and wonder if any other languages
> have local names for dinosaurs or other extinct animals.

I found this on the Icelandic wikipedia page:
http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listi_yfir_risae%C3%B0lur
Which lists the Icelandic equivalents to dinosaur names.

Clicking on the one for Tyrannosaurus
(http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grame%C3%B0la) reveals the Icelandic equivalents
for some
suprageneric names as well: