Re: Icelandic dinosaur names

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> In Chinese, too, every genus and species name is translated/recreated.
>
>>  Seildır (Chordata)
>
> Like TMK, I'm sure that dır means "animals".

I can confirm it does. Cf also Danish _dyr_ and Swedish _djur_.

The Swedish for chordates is a bit of a mouthful: _ryggsträngsdjur_,
lit "dorsal cord animals". Vertebrates is the helpfully(?) similar
_ryggradsdjur_ "dorsal row [=vertebral column] animals".

--
Andreas Johansson