Re: dino-lice

Apologies - plaintext below (new to the whole DLM shebang)

I mean, opportunistic scavenging is a basic feature of carnivory -
saying something scavenged carcasses is in general tantamout to just
saying it ate meat. To be a convincing dedicated scavenger you either
need a way of both finding and getting to corpses (which are probably
a pretty thinly-spread resource) before every other meat-eater that
happened to be near it gets involved. So you need to cover a wide area
with a fast-acting sense, and be able to travel large distances
quickly. birds seem the only convincing terestrial example at the
moment. Or you eat the stuff no-one else is going to or is able to
(bones, waxy residues etc), or you exist in such huge numbers that
you're basically everywhere anyway (flies, ants etc). Does that sound
about right? Being able to process a large corpse doesn't really make
you anything more than a carnivore, as far as I can see - it's the
ability to sense and travel over long distances quickly (relative to
competitors). Might be wrong.