RE: dino-lice

> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:37:03 +0100
> From: mrvivianallen@googlemail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: dino-lice
>
> Sorry to trot out the obvious argument, but how would a non-flying obligate
> scavenger find meals quickly enough to compete with opportunistic
> scavengers?

 the same way homonids accompished it - by keeping one eye on the sky to watch
the birds.

 though that idea falls flat if there were any alvarezsaurs which were not
built to run really fast and-or at a steady constant speed.

> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:54:19 -0300
> From: augustoharo@gmail.com
> To: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: dino-lice

> Right, forgot that. But, would not you say they have relatively short
> forelimbs even as coelurosaurs? I mean, compared with what may be the
> basal coelurosaur condition, if inferred from ornithomimosaurs,
> oviraptorosaurs, paravians, and therizinosaurids. As far as I
> remember, even Haplocheirus has longer arms.

 but don't they* have longer arms because they need to pull fruits and branches
down to mouth height?

* = not sure about paravians, but at least with therizinosaurs.