Re: dino-lizers

>> 3) Large theropods are apparently [...] NOT found w/ large bones
>> preserved in the gut, but some smaller bones are known (e.g.,
>> fishbones in Baryonyx).

>>  I would also assume: a) such items as vertebrae ... are lacking in
>> nutritional value

Varricchio (Gut Contents from a Cretaceous Tyrannosaurid: Implications for
Theropod Dinosaur Digestive Tracts. David J. Varricchio. Journal of
Paleontology, Vol. 75, No. 2 (Mar., 2001), pp. 401-406) reports a
Daspletosaurus with acid - etched caudal vertebrae and a dentary from juvenile
hadrosaur associated.

>> A relevant question is: have small bones been found in the gut
>> regions of Cretaceouc crocodilians? If the answer "no", then I would
>> think the presence of small bones in various theropod guts are a
>> indication (albeit counter-intuitive) of a primarily predatory
>> lifestyle/digestive system.

Are modern crocodilians definitely primarily scavengers? We've all seen the
youtube videos where they engage in ambush predation on large animals.
Cretaceous crocodilians were more diverse and could have included more active
predators.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
American Museum of Natural History