Re: dino-lice

2011/4/20 Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com>:

> If we
> talk about breaking bark, we do not need to hypothesize unique
> reliance on social insects, for arthropods in general on rotting trees
> may be made available.

Now I read Thomas Holtz's assertion that alvarezsaurs lived in mainly
treeless habitats, and Tim's assertion that cursorial animals do not
show low metabolic rates, while ant-eaters above 1 kg. do. My opinion
is that alvarezsaurs may have been omnivores eating soft foods that
needed not to be cutted or teared with its delicate snout, as insects,
small animals in general and soft plants or grains. But, for accessing
to them, may we envisage some other thing which is hard but can be
breaked up by putting point pressure upon it? Perhaps large
seeds/fruits, hardened soil (if the alvarezsaur had a rather good
smell), relatively large eggs of other dinosaurs? I do not know.