Re: dino-lice

Tim,

Here you suggest that a bare neck and head might correlate with scavenging.

I am skeptical of that idea. I've heard it before in paleo circles but I
have a few questions.

First, cassowaries, turkeys, and wood storks all have bare heads and necks
and none are scavengers. Has anyone demonstrated a correlation between
bare - headedness and scavenging?

Second I wonder about the functional inference. Why don't coyotes, skunks,
wolverines, hyenas, and tasmanian devils suffer from fouling of their face
and neck fur? Why don't ravens and caracaras?

Last, in Shuvuuia and Mononykus, don't the myriad tiny teeth that lack
individual sockets, and which are set together in an alveolar groove, look
different from what we'd expect in a scavenger?

-Jason