Re: dino-lice

On 20 April 2011 23:58, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> It seems to be a one-way relationship. Amongst scavenging birds that
> regularly plunge their heads
> into unmentionably nasty places, bare heads and necks are a distinct
> advantage (old-world and
> new-world vultures, Leptoptilos storks).

What's that actually based on, though? Other than the observation that
they scavenge and they have bare necks. Then why (as Jason points out)
do other bare-necked birds that don't scavenge exist? I mean, the
implication that its easier to clean is intuititve, but the existence
of exceptions suggests it could do with proper testing before it's
counted as a definitive hallmark of scavenging.