Re: dino-lice

Precisely.

We can't simply say that a feature confers an advantage because it seems
like it should. We have to prove it statistically.

I've watched films of ravens burrowing into elk carcasses. If Ravens do
this with no ill effects, and bare - headed turkeys never touch carcasses,
how can we say there is "a one-way relationship"?

> On 20 April 2011 23:58, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
>> It seems to be a one-way relationship. Amongst scavenging birds that
>> regularly plunge their heads
>> into unmentionably nasty places, bare heads and necks are a distinct
>> advantage (old-world and
>> new-world vultures, Leptoptilos storks).
>>

> What's that actually based on, though? Other than the observation that
> they scavenge and they have bare necks. Then why (as Jason points out)
> do other bare-necked birds that don't scavenge exist? I mean, the
> implication that its easier to clean is intuititve, but the existence
> of exceptions suggests it could do with proper testing before it's
> counted as a definitive hallmark of scavenging.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
Department of Exhibition
American Museum of Natural History