RE: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

Here's an idea (probably not an original one, but it comes to me when I read
this):

  Alvarezsaurs are almost certainly hyper-precocial, meaning they are
independent and highly active from hatching, including hunting and avoiding
predators, without parental care. This would result in advanced fusion of
vertebral and limb elements, but not necessarily in cranial and accessory
elements (sternum, advanced development of the forelimbs, development of the
cnemial crest, etc.). We should be able to test this by analyzing
size-independent development criteria, which can discern precocial from
altricial young, and extrapolate these criteria onto alvarezsaurids. I suspect,
although am not certain, that some taxa named from Mongolia and northern China
may be precocial young, and the seeming odd trend of decreasing size during
evolution of the _Alvarezsauridae_ is an artefact of recovering young.

  An additional effect would be partitioning of food choices by age and forced
development of cursorial features that would be retained in as-yet-undiscovered
adults, while earlier morphologies that were not required in adulthood would
become more vestigial. This occurs with tooth morphologies, jaw mechanics,
etc., associated with varying feeding changes through ontogeny, and occurs in
limb design, but assigning this concept to the anterior limbs requires finding
differential morphology in them among ages which differ from those of the
hindlimbs, and so far all alvarezsaurids -- or rather, for some,
"parvicursorines" -- have the same form of the forelimbs across specimens.

  Food for thought, perhaps.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)