Re: dino-lizers

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Don Ohmes wrote:
On 4/19/2011 1:16 PM, Jason Brougham wrote:
Are modern crocodilians definitely primarily scavengers? We've all seen the youtube videos where they engage in ambush predation on large animals. Cretaceous crocodilians were more diverse and could have included more active predators.

The argument is not that crocs are scavengers -- the argument is that a critter that eats a lot of bone evolves very strong acids -- hence, the presence of bone preserved in the gut indicates that bone was not very important as a dietary component, which seems unlikely in a scavenger.

Like hyenas. What other mammals have strong stomach acid? My dog eats bones (ribs, pork chops) but chews and grinds them.

There's bird pellets... any dino pellets been found?