RE: dino-lice

   While I agree that the heavily abbreviated forelimbs of hummingbirds
compared to their other avian relatives are comparable in that degree (brevity)
to alvarezsaurids, I should note the differences (as with kiwis in my previous
post) are marked in their distinctions:

  First, the deltopectoral crest is distal to the abductor crest, where they
are separated by a large L-shaped gap (the deltopectoral crest is
"hatchet-shaped," an aspect that recalls nyctosaurid pterosaurs); the dpc is
further set lower on the humeral shaft than a line drawn between the adductor
and abductor crests. This alters the dynamics of humeral motility quite a bit.
But let us not forget that the scapulocoracoid glenoid is bounded by a distinct
lip or "fhalf" which, despite the globular humeral caput, prevents the humerus
from abducting by any serious amount (Senter proposes a nearly horizontal
humerus, but this strongly depends on the scapular orientation and "normative"
humeral attitude, rather than glenoid shape). Strong humeral torsion (~45
degrees if I'm not mistaken) misaligns the proximal and distal ends, allowing
Senter's reconstruction to permit the palmar sides of the manus to face ventral
with slight torsion along the forearm, while the proximal humerus is
perpendicular across its proximal end to the sagittal.

  Senter's reconstruction also allows for an adaptive explanation for the
distinct "notch" between abductor and dpc crests, but not for the pectoralis
musculation, which should "flap" the arms. If this reconstruction should be
correct, it would permit strong ventroflexion of the arm at the glenoid,
bringing the palms inward to face one another (but not touch), and the large
size of the adductor insertions indicate potential strong motion back out; lack
of long moment arms for these crests indicate this motion was not particularly
rapid, so i would not support rapid flapping of the limbs.

  Jason's original suggestion, that of display, would fit the bill for the limb
anatomy as Senter reconstructs the posture, but the remaining functional
anatomy is left to beg the question Greg Paul implies: What of the sternum?

  Regardless of the ridiculously undersized limbs, I suspect Senter's analysis
is the best available until the size can be incorporated into a testable model.
As such, i would support the scratch-digging in so far as the anatomy is useful
for precise tearing at hardened substrates, be they eggshells, harded and
packed earth, caked mud, or what have you.

  It should be noted that any functional suggestion of habitus must take into
account that not all alvarezsaurids (with the same anatomy, mind) are found in
different biomes, from the muddy estuarine and recessive inland-sea-bordering
Horseshoe Canyon Fm, the arid but braided Djadokhta/Baruungoyot, the swampier
Nemegt, etc. This could mean that not only termite mounds but also treebark,
logs, dried riverbeds or banks, may all have been potential regions one could
find an alvie "digging." It needn't necessarily be an earthen mound.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/