Re: dino-lice

In other words, how small would the arms have to be before we could all agree
that they couldn't be used for scratch digging? Right now we all agree Shuvuuia
would have to practically press its chest against anything it touched with its
arms, and that it couldn't see what its arms were doing. Yet the bone shapes,
alone, convince many that it was digging with the arms.

What if the arms were a millimeter long and entirely embedded within the skin?
What if they were a micron long? Would the antebrachial anatomy still persuade
you that they were used for precision digging?

Can you identify any downward size limit to your functional convictions?

On Apr 21, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jason Brougham wrote:

>>  Regardless of the ridiculously undersized limbs,
>>
> What if we do regard them?

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
American Museum of Natural History