Re: dino-lice

Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I'm convinced that the forelimbs of alvarezsaurids were used for
>> *something*, and that *something*  was associated with diet.
>
> As anyone who has done any digging knows, teeny little arms poking out of
> your chest are NOT the tools you need, as Jason and several others point
> out, especially when range of movement is limited.

Personally, I'm cold on the digging hypothesis - especially as applied
to termite-mounds or trees.  One can support the hypothesis that
alvarezsaur forelimbs retained a trophic function, without necessarily
involving ant-eating habits.

I like the idea that the single-clawed forelimbs of alvarezsaurs were
used to penetrate carcasses (especially from the inside), or that they
were used to prise parasites off hides - either from the hides of
other species, or from each other (as a grooming tool).  Thus
returning us to the origin of this thread: Dino-lice.

Cheers

Tim