Gars and the Semionotiformes?

Not dinosaurs, technically, but these fish are Mesozoic so I hope this doesn't
bother anyone. Does anyone understand the relationships between the gars
(Lepisosteiformes) and Semionotiformes? I'm finding contrary information. Some
sources are saying that the orders are essentially the same. Others are saying
that they are distinct. Others are saying that gars are just plain
semionotiformes. Are there any paleo-fish enthusiasts on the list who could
clear this up for me? Maybe this is an ongoing controversy in paleoichthyology?

~ Abyssal