Re: Ceratonykus braincase described

2011/4/27 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>:
> Then again, keen hearing would be very useful for an animal that hunts hidden
> insect prey. There'd
> be no point wasting energy ripping open a log or a termite mound if there was
> nothing inside it.

I do not know. Although aardvarks seem to hear well in order to avoid
predators, anteaters do not seem to have a keen hearing. Both seem to
mostly rely on olfaction.

> It seems that alvarezsaurs had such an eclectic mixture of apparently
> mis-matched traits that
> trying to deduct their lifestyles based solely on physical practicalities may
> be nigh on impossible.
> Whereas a few hours of direct behavioural observation would probably tell us
> a lot.
> What's the point of even having physicists if they can't develop something as
> simple as time
> travel? :-)

Indeed! perhaps when we have body parts supporting different
activities, we may infer these activities all occurred. If a body part
fitted several functions, perhaps there is no point in searching a
specific habit. Today we find animals which may do several things with
a body part.

>2011/4/27 Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com>:
>
> Good eyesight would be appropriate for scavengers that keep an eye out
> for carcasses in the distance... either by sighting large carcasses
> directly or the pterosaurs above heading in the direction of
> carcasses.

True, but is consistent with many things. For example, bug and other
stuff pecking as in ostriches. Or predator detection, etc. Putting
aside vulture detection, I suppose smell is better for terrestrial
scanvengers, given the proximity of the carcass to the gound and the
possibility of being hidden in the irregularities of the terrain. Or,
in the case of huge dinosaur carcasses, their likely remoteness
because of low population densities of large animals.

Cheers