Re: Ceratonykus braincase described

 What's the point of even having physicists if they can't develop
 something as simple as time travel? :-)

Well, apparently time travel comes in a package with faster-than-light travel.

But to return to the topic... Alvarezsaurs evidently dealt with predators by running away. This required sensing the predators early enough that running away was still possible. Good eyesight and hearing had to be expected just from looking at the proportions of these animals.

Extant myrmecophages are not cursorial. They stand and fight and/or climb and/or burrow and/or rely on armor or spines. They don't need to notice predators in advance -- or, as long as the armor holds, at all.

Regarding alvarezsaur arms, I have yet to catch up with the discussion, but the combination of proportionally tiny size (in parvicursorines -- not in *Patagopteryx* or *Haplocheirus*!), proportionally huge thumb claw, very restricted range of movement, and mind-blowing humongous muscle attachment sites leads me to support Longrich's hypothesis that alvarezsaur arms sacrificed speed and range of movement for power. The extremely long, energy-efficient legs and the unusually long, flexible neck made it possible to step in, crack something open, step back if necessary, and lick the termites up. The weak jaws and tiny teeth fit this. To me, the unique combination of traits in alvarezsaurs isn't more mysterious than Coombs's chimera: http://svpow.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/coombss-chimaera/