RE: Ceratonykus braincase described

  Well, the funny thing is that there are preadtor-prone "myrmecophages" that
don't escape by climbing or burrowing, or have any sort of defensive _physical_
capabilities (when confronted). That was my point. Generalist insectivores that
have similar adaptations to tamanduas exist that are nearly exclusively
arboreal (as a preferred habitat rather than restrictive biome). That was also
my point.

  Comparing terrestrial myrmecophages to non-terrestrial "myrmecophages" is not
very useful as they typically invoke differential habits. And alvarezsaurs
strike virtually anyone as terrestrial forms. If they were in the slightest
myrmecophages, they would be treated with a suite of features not typically
found in such taxa, even if their arms were primed for tearing into hard
substrates. If we invoke that "compare anything fossil to only things extant"
trope as a constraint, then we are stuck with an animal with (I think) no
analogue. This is where the fun begins. It might be right to conceive of a
chimera, but I think we're also overthinking the animal. No one says all the
parts of the animal have to be associated with a precise behavior, and I think
some people in this discussion have gotten caught up in trying to oversimplify
alvarezsaurs (a very human tendency, I'll admit).

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/