Kem Kem Pterosaurs

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

I don't recall seeing this paper mentioned yet. Unfortunately, I don't have
the page numbers for the full citation.

TAISSA RODRIGUES, ALEXANDER W. A. KELLNER, BRYN J. MADER & DALE A. RUSSELL
(2011)
NEW PTEROSAUR SPECIMENS FROM THE KEM KEM BEDS (UPPER CRETACEOUS,
CENOMANIAN) OF MOROCCO.
Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia 117:
http://www.rivistaitalianadipaleontologia.it/117-1_53.html

Although pterosaurs from Africa are still rare, in recent years several
specimens have been described from the Kem Kem beds (Upper Cretaceous,
Cenomanian) of Morocco. Here we describe four additional specimens from
this informal lithostratigraphic unit: a jaw fragment, two mid-cervical
vertebrae, and a humerus. All these specimens show three-dimensional
preservation, differing much from the flat condition found in most
pterosaur material. The vertebrae are particularly well preserved, and
allow accurate observations on the pneumatization of the neural arch. Based
on comparable material, we show that at least two edentulous pterosaur
species were present in this informal lithostratigraphic unit, thus adding
to the growing evidence of considerable pterosaur diversity in northwestern
Africa during the "middle" Cretaceous. So far, the Kem Kem beds have the
most diverse pterosaur fauna in this continent, with the presence of
anhanguerids, azhdarchids, pteranodontids, and tapejarids.