Re: Kelmayisaurus a carcharodontosaurid

 I use this spelling because this is how Xu Xing (a native Mandarin
 speaker) transcribes it (as, for instance, in the Rauhut & Xu
 Tugulusaurus paper). And I'll continue to use it that way unless my
 Chinese colleagues want it changed.

I once read a paper from the early 2000s that used, as usual*, the Hànyǔ Pīnyīn transcription** for personal names, place names, and the Yixian*** Formation, but not for the Jiufotang**** Formation. The Jiufotang Fm was spelled "Chiufotang", which is the formerly common bastardization of the Wade-Giles transcription Chiu-fo-t'ang. IIRC, some or all of the authors were Chinese. I wonder if they thought the oldest spelling of a formation name had to be maintained. If so, perhaps the Lianmuqin Fm was simply misprinted with g when its name was formally erected?

The g can't come from another transcription. In Wade-Giles it would be Lien-mu-ch'in. (No idea what tones the word has.)

...Oh, wait. If the name was erected in the 1940s, it could be in Ladinxua Sin Wenz. In that case, "Lianmugin" would make perfect sense -- and would correspond to "Lianmujin" rather than "Lianmuqin" in Pīnyīn. But that this transcription was used is unlikely because the formation crops out in northwestern rather than northeastern China.

Could someone point me to how the name is written in Chinese characters or to what it means? That way I could find out if it's -jin or -qin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade%E2%80%93Giles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinxua_Sin_Wenz

* Because it's been the one & only official way to represent Standard Mandarin in Latin letters in the PRC since 1958 (enforced 1979), for the ISO since 1982, at the UN since 1986, and in the ROC since 2009.
** Except the tone marks, as usual.
*** Yìxiàn if I listened correctly. That would be I4-hsien4 in Wade-Giles, with superscript numbers. **** Jiǔfótāng? "Nine Buddha halls"? If so, Wade-Giles would be Chiu3-fo2-t'ang1 with superscript numbers.