Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Tim Williams wrote:
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

Senter, P. (2005) Function in the stunted forelimbs of _Mononykus
olecranus_ (Theropoda), a dinosaurian anteater.  Paleobiology 31:
373–381.

However, despite the strong biomechanical support for the execution of
scratch-digging or hook-and-pull movements by the forelimbs, some of
us (in a somewhat hand-waving fashion) are reluctant to embrace the
idea that alvarezsaurs were specialized for myrmecophagous habits.
I'm not dismissing the proposition that _Mononykus_ (and other
alvarezsaurs) used their stunted forelimbs to tear open insect-nests
or infested wood; but I have reservations about this being the *only*
task the forelimbs were used for, or that ants and termites were the
*only* thing _Mononykus_ ate.  Hence the intuitive attraction of
alternative (but not mutually exclusive) lifestyles - like feeding on
carrion, or eggs.

Do the claws of anteaters show marks specific to their foraging? Or perhaps just well polished from use?