RE: New Terra Nova information

> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:26:09 -0700
> From: pristichampsus@yahoo.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: New Terra Nova information
>
> >From http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1164752p1.html
>
> I'm not sure how much of this is old news for folks on the list, but I guess
> Jack Horner is (once again) the consultant. According to the interview with
> Brannon Braga (executive producer) the show is aiming to recreate a
> Cretaceous ecosystem, and the team is actually trying to steer clear of
> _T.rex_ for a while due to the iconic nature of the animal. All of that
> sounds admirable. However, on the flip side of this he also said the
> following:

thank you for the heads-up.

> "Describing that newly created dinosaur, Braga said, 'It's called an
> acceraptor, which means 'to slash' in Latin. And they're called
> 'slashers' as a nickname, because they've got these tails with razor
> sharp tail blades that they whip at you that can slice you in half. It's
> a kind of dinosaur that we've just never seen and is really
> frightening.'"

I suppose that tells us that _Acceraptor_* is not related to the Velociraptor
side of the lizard-hipped family...hard to slash people in half, with a stiff
tail. Unless the tail is secondarily flexible?

* = do we italicize fictional Latin names? put it in *like* or something else?