Re: Ceratonykus braincase described

> That could explain why parvicursorines are so unusually small... but they're
> not _that_ small, are they? And *Patagonykus*, of course, had a decent size.
> Too bad its skull is unknown; but it didn't have as extreme forelimbs as the
> parvicursorines.

Yes, even the aardwolf has a low metabolic rate for its body size.
Though not as low as that of anteaters (vermilinguans), pangolins
(philodotans), the aardvark, or the echidna.  This may relate to the
aardwolf's preference for termites (more energy-yield per unit of
biomass than ants), and/or to the aardwolf being less morphologically
specialized for myrmecophagy (the "recent convert" thing - other
myrmecophagous placental lineages extend back to the early Cenozoic).

I also note that AFAIK there are no known myrmecophagous birds.  There
are birds that include ants or termites in their diets, but no bird
has these particular social insects as major components.  Presumably,
any myrmecophagous birds (if bioenergetically feasible) would be
flightless.

Cheers

Tim