RE: Greg Paul is right (again); or "Archie's not a birdy"

People should note that there is a deliberate attempt to focus a scientific
word to encompass the psychological phyletic term "bird." That, so far, has
historically been *Aves* and its equivalents across many languages. But some
languages make distinctions, just as the US thinks beans and tomatoes are fruit
but only for the purposes of law (they "know" otherwise).

  So the question here is whether the phyletic term "bird" and its
psychological inferences be the determining quality to which we apply the
scientific term *Aves*, and do we also distinguish that from the linguistic
term _aves_? The effectiveness of the scientific word as compared to the
phyletic form and the linguistic usage are, in some cases, quite different. How
do we reconcile them? SHOULD we?

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)