RE: Greg Paul is right (again); or "Archie's not a birdy"

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of David Marjanovic
>
> >  As "Avialae" was originally defined on the basis of apomorphies
>
> Oh no, it wasn't. It was defined in some branch-based way
> that I have forgotten, maybe as everything closer to modern
> birds than (to) *Deinonychus*.

"...and the name Avialae is applied to Ornithurae plus all extinct
maniraptorans that are closer to Ornithurae than they are to
Deinonychosauria." Gauthier 1986, p. 36, col. 2, para. 3. Archaeopteryx is
listed in the included taxa, and he makes clear that
Archie was the primary source for the diagnosis of the clade, but the
definition was a branch-based taxon name (using modern
terminology).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216