Re: Greg Paul is right (again); or "Archie's not a birdy"... but Jeholornis is (not!)

In a message dated 8/5/11 2:17:33 PM, skeletaldrawing@gmail.com writes:

<< No, Jeholornis isn't a bird.  Niether are enantiornithines.  None of

them are near the crown.  They're just protobirds which better

approximate actual birds as they approach the crown group. >>

Oh, piddle paddle. If it's a dinosaur with wings (or whose ancestor had
them) and a short tail its a bird. Sapeornis, Confuciusornis, Ichthyornis and
Hesperornis were all boids. Whether they were in Aves is another matter, but
they were birds. If it looks like a bird then its a bird. So I'll be damned
if I am not going to call them protobirds that being appropriate for long
tailed fliers and long tailed neoflightless taxa.

Now usually when a subject drifts away from the original topic I object to
the heading retaining the same title. But for some reason I cannot quite put
my finger on I like that this particular subject heading has not changed.
Exactly why eludes me but its is such a superb title. May it enjoy a long
life.

GSPaul

</HTML>