Please pardon my ignorance. Does sedimentology or some other non-biological record provide additional useful information to describe paleoclimates?

 Thanks,

 Joe

Ar 8/6/2011 4:21 PM, scríobh Jura:

----- Original Message -----

From: Scott<hmwh@comcast.net>
To: GSP1954@aol.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Saturday, 6 August 2011 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Brrr, bone chilling paleopolar summers(Polar dinosaur growth and
other new papers)

So, living conditions sound considerably better in polar Alaska 65 MYA than here
in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont USA, where the average ANNUAL temperature is
39.5 F and the winters have been known to get as low as 40 below zero...no
bradyenergetic crocs here either.

Scott Perry
High Mountain Writers' House
Irasburg, VT

No crocs, but seven turtles, one lizard and eleven snakes.

Then there are the more northerly countries like Sweden, Denmark and Finland.
Their average temperatures are substantially more harsh than Alaska, or
Victoria would have been in the Cretaceous, and all of them house
bradymetabolic reptiles, amphibians, fish, and insects.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the only reason we haven't found "classic
reptiles" in the North Slope is because we haven't been looking that hard for them.

Jason