Re: Brrr, bone chilling paleopolar summers(Polar dinosaur growth and other new papers)

In a message dated 8/6/11 3:21:10 PM, pristichampsus@yahoo.com writes:

<< I'd bet dollars to donuts that the only reason we haven't found "classic
reptiles" in the North Slope is because we haven't been looking that hard
for them.

This misleading misstatement is totally wrong, and should not have been
made especially by someone who is not a "we" who has actually been working
their butts off fighting the bugs while doing hard core paleo on the North
Slope. The North Slope sediments have been worked for decades, and the same
screening techiniques that produce tiny mammals turn up absolutely no herps.
There is not the slightest evidence they were there.

New England can support herps because the summers are quite warm and have
lots of unobscured sunlight. It can get into the 80s and even 90s fairly
often. Such events would have been very rare at best in the perpetually cloudy
northern Alaska in the L Cret.

GSPaul
</HTML>