Thecodontosaurus project and some international news items

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

One new ref, and some international news stories that have been
accumulating for a few weeks.

Thecodontosaurus--Bristol dinosaur project

Michael J. Benton, Remmert Schouten, Edward J.A. Drewitt and Pedro Viegas
(2011)
The Bristol Dinosaur Project.
Proceedings of the Geologists' Association (advance online publication)
doi:10.1016/j.pgeola.2011.07.004
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016787811000708

Abstract
Dinosaurs have been fascinating to the widest public since the 1840s, and
that interest has grown step-wise ever since. Public interest has been
harnessed over the years especially by museums in blockbuster exhibitions,
and in the form of best-selling books and films. Here we describe a major
educational initiative, the Bristol Dinosaur Project, which has run for ten
years and has reached tens of thousands of children and adults, supported
by substantial funding. The Bristol Dinosaur Project focuses on the fourth
dinosaur ever named in the world, Thecodontosaurus, discovered in Bristol
in 1834, and named in 1836. The dinosaur is not in itself spectacular,
being only 1?2 m long, but its evolutionary role as one of the first
plant-eating dinosaurs in the world justifies our current research, and
provides a strong theme for the public presentation. Further, the fact that
the dinosaur is found as disarticulated bones in ancient tropical cave
systems, allows us to develop numerous key themes with all age groups: the
geological time scale, continental drift, reconstruction of ancient
environments, modern landscape analogues, the rock cycle, evolution,
biomechanics, and critical assessment of geological and palaeontological
evidence. These themes are of key importance for socio-economic and
intellectual reasons, and yet are often poorly understood.

====
Zhucheng "Dragon Cube" photos
A block of dinosaur bones excavated in Zhucheng now partly prepared.
http://xw.chinawestnews.net/system/2011/08/02/010383066.shtml

---
Cretaceous dinosaur tracks in the Bari region of Italy (with video)

http://www.agoravox.it/La-cava-dei-dinosauri-di-Altamura.html

---

Dinosaur femur found in Spain (in Spanish)
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/07/29/castellon/1311958298.html

===
Guillermo Heredia, discoverer of Argentinosaurus dies at 93 (in Spanish)
http://www.lmneuquen.com.ar/noticias/2011/7/23/114988.php

---
More for fun:
Photos of dinosaur park in Venezuela (including dinosaur models with bloody
wounds)

http://www.radiomundial.com.ve/yvke/noticia.php?497370

====
Longest sauropod trackway found in France.

I posted a couple of news stories in French about this new find a few
weeks. Here's a story in English:
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/9754105-ain-world-record-for-the-l
ongest-succession-of-steps-of-the-same-dinosaur

Here a couple of videos in French about the discovery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqlDZhGz3kY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYTokK-cas

====
A new article in German about the troodontid tracks found in Germany, with
a few more details about a story posted awhile back.
http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1312205431473.shtml

=====
New type of giant ankylosaur found?
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_f47dfda6-
b64b-11e0-936f-001cc4c002e0.html

I hesitate a bit because, although this version of the story quotes James
Kirkland, it also has an "intelligent design" angle:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/jul/25/two-kansans-find-fossil-what-may-be
-new-type-dinos/

===

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft®