Re: Brrr, bone chilling paleopolar summers(Polar dinosaur growth and other new papers)

On Mon, Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Has everyone forgotten that the continents were not located where they are
> now?  The arctic could not have supported dinosaurs when it wasn't frozen
> over, since there is no dry land there.  Antarctica was not always as the
> south pole and was once warm.

During the Cretaceous, the North American plate was further north (closer to
the Arctic circle),
and Australia was further south (closer to the Antarctic circle).

As far as I know, Antarctica has always been close to the south pole. It has
wandered about a bit,
but it has been in the general vicinity for a long time.

Dann Pigdon