I agree with both of your points. NZ is a tiny territory, most areas the size
of NZ have no fossils of either dromaeosaurs or ratites at all, I'm sure.

But I renew why question; why didn't any family of flightless ornithurine bird
spread globally?  They've had at least 65 million years, and Samrukia was there
on Laurasia 80 million years ago, and it might have had grasping hands.
Gargantuavis also may have retained hands.

If, as you suggest, we should be cautious about comparing local to global
faunas then any comparison of ratites and dromaeosaurs is complicated and
possibly not meaningful.

In trying to compare the radiation of one group of Mesozoic diapsids with
another group of diapsids from the Cenozoic, we are always comparing apples
with oranges, aren't we? Most dinosaur fossils were deposited in
paleoenvironments  that are incompletely understood. Take even Solnhofen -
where the debate still rages whether there were even trees there. It's hard to
say where the boundaries of Mesozoic islands such as Hateg were, or if they
even were islands or not and how they changed over millennia, and thus how
large the territory was when any given taxa evolved.

There will certainly not be any exact matches, considering the one-in-a-million
fossil record, climate and atmosphere shifts, continental drift, the gradual
domination of the flora by angiosperms during the Cretaceous, and repeated
global changes in faunal elements.

I'll try to state my point precisely now. Please tell me if  my reasoning seems
correct to you, and please correct my logic if needed.

1) If Mr. Paul points to all manner of biological similarities between ratites
and dromaeosaurs as support for his hypothesis that both are secondarily
flightless, as he does, then I may point to the differences as evidence against
that hypothesis. In other words, if ratites can be compared to dromaeosaurs AT
ALL (despite being different taxa in different geologic eras and periods), and
if they can be compared in order to support Mr. Pauls's hypothesis (the
"neoflightless" hypothesis for non -avian maniraptorans), then their
differences can be weighed in the balance of evidence against that hypothesis.

In other words, I hope we don't say that all the similarities count and then
dismiss all the differences. That would seem to be working from preconceptions
rather than an open - minded search for the truth.

I didn't know Tennyson was a picture book, one of his papers cited it as an
authority on the total number of moa species. I'll try to check out Worthy. I
wonder how much has been learned about moas since 2002, since Tennyson
described the two miocene species in 2010.

-Jason