Re: Avian flight stroke origin

On Thu, Aug 11th, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Dr Ronald Orenstein
<ron.orenstein@rogers.com> wrote:

> Also, even flightless or near-flightless species of birds can get up into a
> tree without having
> climbing-adapted front limbs. It's quite amazing to see the ability some
> birds have of getting
> around in trees by simply jumping from branch to branch, and if the trees
> have limbs near the
> ground they can reach the canopy in this way too.

My mother has a tame pair of Little Ravens (Rowen and Rowena) that nest in tree
in her front
yard, so she's had many years to observe their behaviour. The last time they
nested, the female
damaged her wing so that she could glide downwards, but couldn't fly up to the
nest. Instead, she
hopped and fluttered up the tree to reach the nest to feed their single chick
(Gavin). Interestingly,
Rowen (the male) also adopted this behaviour until Rowena's wing had
sufficiently healed.
Rowena soon had climbing the tree down to a fine art, and seemed to do it
fairly effortlessly once
she'd mapped out the most efficient route.

Dann Pigdon