Re: Brrr, bone chilling paleopolar summers(Polar dinosaur growth and other new papers)

I'll check into that. It doesn't sound right, however. There was a point when all the continents were in one place, and it wasn't both the north and the south pole.

Dora
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dann Pigdon" <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: Brrr, bone chilling paleopolar summers(Polar dinosaur growth and other new papers)

On Mon, Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:

Has everyone forgotten that the continents were not located where they are
now?  The arctic could not have supported dinosaurs when it wasn't frozen
over, since there is no dry land there.  Antarctica was not always as the
south pole and was once warm.

During the Cretaceous, the North American plate was further north (closer to the Arctic circle),
and Australia was further south (closer to the Antarctic circle).

As far as I know, Antarctica has always been close to the south pole. It has wandered about a bit,
but it has been in the general vicinity for a long time.

Dann Pigdon