RE: Ah ha! That's where therizinosaurs came from

  I like to think of *Oviraptorosauria* as a clade (*Oviraptor philoceratops*
Osborn, 1924 < *Passer domesicus* Linnaeus, 1758) [including the first,
excluding the last -- although a more complete listing would use a few more
exclusive specifiers]. If so, it would automatically include anything that
could find its way into a sister-group relationship with "basic"
oviraptorosaurs. This would mean coining new names for the internal "former
oviraptorosauria" clade, but that's a non-issue: We can easily coin a name for
each major node in the stem's content (by which I mean robustly supported and
non-labile, supported by most divergent analyses), and clade (*Scansoriopteryx
heilmanni* Czerkas & Yuan, 2002 + *Oviraptor philoceratops* Osborn, 1924) would
be one of these. Cau's "greater Oviraptorosauria" suggestion would require
instead treating the classic name as a node, so that adding taxa as sisters to
the clade would allow one to name more and more external nodes. The stem idea
is very useful and effective, and I see no issue with departing from it.

  Xu et al. is only a recent analysis, and I would wait for more robust support
before assuming its topology is useful to name nodes/stems for. In the same
light, we are hesitant about following Maryańska et al (2002) and Osmólska et
al. (2004) as, in their analyses, various differences between them and the TWG
analyses result in distinct positions for various key taxa. While I am more
prone to follow the TWG analyses (including Xu et al.) in general, new
topologies with low posterior probability support (such as the new position of
*Archaeopteryx lithographica*) make me VERY wary as we add in new data and
exclude various potentially useful taxa (note that several important basal
"dromies" and "troodonts" were not present in that analysis which have been
used by others to move several taxa around). Paul's work eschews cladistic
methodology, and is hardly comparable; consider that the one attempt he
presented to support his eschewing of this process was to present a phyletic
analysis supporting a non-theropodan position for *Erlikosaurus andrewsi* and
*Segnosauridae* in general [with *Therizinosaurus cheloniformis* "clearly"
being a theropod] -- paraphrasing his use of the term, the analysis was
"maroon-ic."

  It should be noted that I was supportive in general of the clade
(*Therizinosaurus cheloniformis* Maleyev, 1954 + *Oviraptor philoceratops*
Osborn, 1924) but was hesitant not just about naming the clade, but supporting
what was accidental nomenclature in general. This clade has not been showing up
in larger analyses than when it first appeared, especially with use of
*Falcarius utahensis* in the analysis, and because of this I am even less
supportive of passing nomenclature for clades due to incidental analyses. The
final element of my wariness is that positional support for many of these are
not based on actual shared autapomorphies, but ACCTRAN/DELTRAN adjusted data
that are lost in posterior probability adjustments, and are generally
plesiomorphic or homoplastic.

  Were sufficient analysis with strong posterior support and non calibrated
features be found where the transformations are not apparently homoplastic to
support placing any scansoriopterygid and/or sapeornithid within
*Oviraptorosauria*, I would welcome it as I do any new clade topology, save
that it should be supported by another analysist's different matrix. To my
knowledge, strong numbers of data and taxa appear in Andrea Cau's analysis --
but that is in Andrea's, not Xu's or anyone else's of comparable numbers -- and
as is noted in the pre-print version of Naish et al. (unpublished),
*Archaeopteryx lithographica* is not clearly supported as a deinonychosaur
exclusive of *Avialae*, as from the position in the strict concensus cladogram:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eEL7rVmxUNM/TjbHglm3hGI/AAAAAAAADSo/XrDTPC_wlRE/s1600/Samrukia-SOM-Theropoda-tree-as-jpg.jpg

[http://theropoda.blogspot.com/2011/08/il-ritorno-della-fenice-samrukia.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FaJKG+%28Theropoda%29].

  Based SOLELY on the postcranial anatomy, I find (as I did when I conflicted
with Mickey WAAAY back in 2002 when we were competitively ratcheting our
analyses) scansoriopterygids likely to be non-avialaeans. I do not find this
likely for ANY sapeornithid. If strong weight is placed on the cranial features
that were suggestive of various affinities between various sapeornithids and
oviraptorosaurs to the exclusion of postcranial, then their analysis is in
clear error. It also doesn't help that both *Scansoriopteryx heilmanni* and
*Epidendrosaurus ningchengensis* are based on apparent non-adults, while this
does not seem to be the case for *Epidexipteryx hui*. Eventually, I'll get to
talk about this in more detail.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)