Re: Avian flight stroke origin

That may be, but Greg Paul never actually depicted Archaeopteryx climbing
like a Hoatzin, did he? When he depicts Archaeopteryx in a tree, like in
Figure 9-3, page 212, of Predatory dinosaurs of the World, he shows it
standing on a  limb like a Chachalaca, and I think this is a conservative
depiction that stands up to everything we've learned about Archaeopteryx
since.

> Demetrios Vital <demetrios.vital@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Osteologically speaking, does a juvenile hoatzin show a greater
>> capability for grasping than most maniraptorans?
>

> In _Dinosaurs of the Air_, GSP certainly argues that the juvenile
> hoatzin serves as the best modern analog for how _Archaeopteryx_ might
> have climbed trees, with the hands and feet both used to "clamber
> about branches quadrupedally".
>

> However, it must be remembered that the pes of the hoatzin is superbly
> adapted for anisodactyl grasping, with a hallux that is large,
> reversed, and fully descended.  The hoatzin is, after all, an arboreal
> bird.  Additionally, hoatzin chicks have extremely large legs and feet
> in proportion to their body size.
>

> There is a nice illustration of a juvenile hoatzin clambering over a
> branch in Bakker's _The Dinosaur Heresies_ (p.315).  It underscores
> just how important the big, grasping feet are for climbing.
> Comparisons between small Mesozoic maniraptorans and modern hoatzin
> chicks focus on the use of wing-claws in clambering, but often
> overlook the important role of the perching feet of hoatzins.
>

> Cheers
>
> Tim

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator